Mayflower Moving Review (2021) | Better Homes & Gardens
Every product that we offer has been independently selected and checked by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may receive a commission.
When choosing the right moving company for you and your family, you should consider important factors such as availability, costs, services and customer service. Mayflower Transit has been helping its customers relocate since 1927. With this extensive experience, you can expect a multitude of options for moving services – from small on-site moves to full-service, cross-country or international moves.
Keep reading this review to determine if Mayflower Transit is the right choice for your move. You can visit Mayflower’s website for a custom quote. We also recommend that you check out offers from other reputable companies such as U-pack This is how you can compare the costs.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Mayflower Moving
- Customizable moving packages with full service options
- Available for local, long-distance and international removals
- More than 90 years of experience in the moving industry
- Not available in Delaware, Hawaii, Rhode Island, or West Virginia
- Depending on your choice, this can be more expensive than other moving companies
Mayflower moving services
The full-service removals from Mayflower include: full-service or partial packaging, minimum liability protection for removals, loading and unloading services. In addition to these services, you can add convenience services to your move. Convenient services include: custom boxes, packaging and installing electronics, full protection when moving, unpacking, storing and removing debris.
In addition to traditional residential moves, you can also use Mayflower Transit for non-residential services, including military removals, corporate relocations, and auto transportation services. Additionally, Mayflower can work with you to create highly customized moving packages.
Packing and unpacking
Mayflower offers a variety of packing and unpacking services for local, long-distance and international removals. Here are a few options to choose from when discussing a relocation proposal with your relocation coordinator:
- Full service packaging: If you choose full service packaging, the Mayflower team will securely wrap all of your belongings and then load your housewares for you.
- Part packaging: If you choose partial packaging, you determine during the quotation process which rooms and items you want to pack yourself and which Mayflower should pack.
- Custom boxes: With bespoke crate services, special items such as pianos, large mirrors, antiques and expensive works of art are safely and professionally packed and shipped.
- Electronics packaging and installation: With With Mayflower’s electronics packaging and installation service, the company can help you disconnect, properly package, and then reinstall your PC network and home theater system in your new home.
- Unpacking: Mayflower also offers unpacking options so you can focus on other elements of your moving process while the Mayflower team unloads and unpacks items from the moving truck.
Relocation protection is a type of insurance that provides compensation if your property is damaged during a move. With every Mayflower Transit package, you will automatically be included in the Full Value Protection Plan. This comprehensive motion protection plan insures your belongings at a cost of $ 6 per pound per item. You can opt out of Mayflower’s Full Value Protection plan and still get Mayflower’s minimum liability rating option, which offers coverage at the minimum required rate of $ 0.60 per pound per item.
Mayflower offers storage solutions in addition to its packaging and moving services. Your move coordinator can ensure that your items are stored in a convenient facility while you sell your current home and prepare to move to your new home. Mayflower will deliver your items to your new home at a time of your choosing.
Mayflower moving expenses
As with many moving companies, the cost of a Mayflower depends on a variety of factors. Factors that you may discuss with one of Mayflower’s moving coordinators are likely to include the distance of your move, your move date, the number of rooms and belongings you have in your home, and the additional amenities or safeguards you may want.
Note that the prices below are only starting prices. Other factors can have a huge impact on your total costs with Mayflower. Factors include: the time of your move, the distance of your move, the hours of the driver, fuel, taxes, and the starting location of your move.
Check out some starting prices for full-service moving packages offered by Mayflower Transit:
- The Essentials Plan, $ 195 Includes Gold Standard Protection (includes items in sets, mechanical items, and electronic items) plus $ 5,000 additional protection. Claims assistance and identity theft protection
- The Plus 1 Plan, $ 395, Includes everything in the Essentials plan plus $ 25,000 in additional protection. You can also select one of the available convenience services, e.g. B. Collection of dirt, dismantling and setting up PCs and networks, and dismantling and setting up home theaters.
- The Plus 2 Plan, $ 595, Includes everything that is included in Plus 2 as well as two of the available comfort services.
Mayflower Transit has a large network of local agents in the US. You can find one of his agents in more than 500 locations in 46 states, except:
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
Make sure to check out the Mayflower website to find out which location is closest to you.
Mayflower Moving Reviews
Mayflower is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but has an A + rating on the website. The company has a large number of negative reviews from the 13 reviews on the website, and the negative reviews mention damaged goods and lack of communication.
Here is an example of reviews from BBB:
Jacquelyn P. said via BBB:
“Terrible experience! They packed my things and shipped them to another state. The package was a madhouse with people working on every floor and I couldn’t be on all of them at the same time, so I have no idea where anything was packed. You didn’t. ” I don’t label all of the boxes and when I asked where the cables and remotes would be I was told there would be a ‘parts box’ but they weren’t there. My 4 year old front loading washer was dropped causing a large bump on top and lots of scratches on the front panel. “
Samantha N. said via BBB:
“We moved 1,300 miles and paid $ 9,000. We had everything packed. United’s job was to load, transport and unload. United * failed two of its three tasks 2) The second truck took several hours, to show up to the store and then only came with a driver – no helpers. My husband, I and our three children had to help load the truck, so we hired and paid United to move our heavy items so we could don’t hurt us. 3) There is no guaranteed delivery date on the second truck. As of this writing, we still don’t have our items. 4) The first semi arrives at our house to be delivered with the driver only. .. no help. “
The bottom line
Whether you’re traveling around the city or across the country, moving can be a stressful situation and a moving company can be a worthwhile investment for any type of move. One thing to consider when researching is what factors are most important to your move and then finding a moving company that focuses on those. This is a great way to find out which moving company will make your move the easiest.
Mayflower Transit offers a wide range of services for your move, large or small. Mayflower’s highly customizable moving packages let you determine how much work you want to do, and how much you’d rather have moving professionals do for you. While you can probably expect to pay more with Mayflower than any other moving company, the added cost comes with a comprehensive protection plan, as well as a large network of local agents and storage facilities to accommodate your needs.
However, if you are looking for something cheaper to do a long distance move and prefer to do it all yourself, consider a service like this U-pack. U-Pack mainly helps with long-distance movements and allows you to pack and unload everything yourself at affordable prices. It also offers a wide variety of storage solutions.
We encourage you to visit Mayflower for a moving quote to see if the services and costs are right for you and your budget.
Frequently asked questions about Mayflower Moving
Does Mayflower have prohibited items?
Yes, Mayflower does not deal with hazardous or perishable materials in its moving trucks. It also encourages you to take valuable personal items with you in your own vehicle.
Are United Van Lines and Mayflower the same?
The two companies are owned and operated by the same parent company, UniGroup, Inc. Because of this relationship, they may use similar devices and services.
What is MyMayflower?
MyMayflower is an online moving tool that you can access via email after you have planned a move with Mayflower. You can use this to access your documents and find helpful tips and information about moving.