Scissor Lift 101
All about Scissor Lifts
What is a Scissor Lift?
A scissor lift is a machine that is primarily used in construction and property maintenance jobs. It is a kind of man lift that helps laborers reach unreachable work areas and assist them in lifting the tools and materials needed for their work. Scissor Lift gets its name from the numerous tubes below the platform that look and work like scissors when it goes up and down. A scissor lift, however, can only move in a vertical fashion and cannot be rotated, unlike boom lifts.
Types of Scissor Lifts
In any kind of job that requires the use of lifts, it is important to know the different kinds of scissor lifts to know what kind of lift will suit your needs.
Hydraulic Scissor Lift
Hydraulic Scissor lifts utilise electric motors or other reliable energy sources so that they can pressurise hydraulics in order to function. They are compact in size, very effective and efficient, and highly durable. Hydraulic scissor lifts are the choice of lift for construction projects and warehouse jobs.
Diesel Scissor Lift
Diesel Scissor lifts are one of the most powerful and popular kinds of scissor lifts in the industry. They are used for heavy-duty jobs outdoors and have very high workability even in rough terrain. You can choose from a variety of platform heights and sizes to maximise the amount of load that can be lifted.
Electrical Scissor Lift
From its name, this type of scissor lift is powered by electricity rather than combustible fuel or gas. Because it is electric, there is no emission of dangerous fumes and the noise emitted during work is highly reduced. Most electric scissor lifts are compact and less bulky, which are the ideal characteristics for any kind of indoor work. Plus, they also have non-marking tyres that prevent and greatly decrease any floor damages that may occur while moving the lifts.
Rough Terrain Scissor Lift
Rough terrain scissor lifts are designed for, yes you got it right, rough terrains. These scissor lifts have a strong combustion engine, powered by either diesel, LPG, or petrol, which allows the scissor lift to endure heavy weights while working on uneven terrains.
Pneumatic Scissor Lift
Pneumatic scissor lifts are the most simple and maintenance-free kinds of sciss. r lifts. Compared to their other counterparts, pneumatic scissor lifts are not powered by diesel or electricity. These are powered by air pressure, which is readily available in workplaces such as food processing plants, manufacturing facilities, and more. If you talk about sustainability, pneumatic scissor lifts rank number 1 because of its minimal carbon footprint.
Benefits of Scissor Lifts
- Easy access to hard-to-reach places - Scissor lifts come in different heights and sizes. The heavier the lift, the higher the capacity to lift heavier loads in higher places.
- Easy operation - Most scissor lifts are easy to operate and control. Not anyone can operate them, though. Operators must undergo training before they can handle lifts.
- Compact size - Because of its compact size, the floor area used while working is minimised. It is easier to maneuver in small and narrow areas without compromising workability.
- Cost-effective - Scissor lifts are the most versatile and cost-efficient machines that there are. You do not need multiple lifts to complete jobs. One lift is more than enough to do all the work.
- Less on-site accidents - As long as scissor lifts are used according to the right protocols, accidents can be avoided and prevented on work sites.
Choose the right lift
The selection of a scissor lift will always depend on the job requirement, work location, scope of the job, and budget. But do not fret! There are so many varieties of scissor lifts to choose from here in Melbourne.